The Harper Government is rushing the so called “Fair Elections Act” 242-page Omnibus Bill through the House of Commons at breakneck speed. The sweeping changes this ill advised draft legislation seeks to implement are raising alarms among Canadians about the future of Canadian democracy.
You can read the full text of Bill C-23 here.
So far there are two petitions in opposition to the ill advised “Fair Election Act” the Harper Government is rushing through the House of Commons.
The first is being mounted by the online advocacy group Leadnow, who are particularly concerned with the aspects of the bill which will serve to disenfranchise many Canadians, including First Nations peoples, Canadian young people, and the growing ranks of the Canadian poor.
PETITION: Stop US Style Voter Suppression From Becoming Canadian Law
The second petition is from The Council of Canadians, who are particularly concerned with the undemocratic changes this law would make to our electoral system.
PETITION: Investigate and prevent electoral fraud with a truly fair Elections Act
My previous article looked at the “Fair Elections Act” but there are so many things wrong with C-23 there have been a flurry of articles already:
- SLAW: “Why the Conservatives’ “Fair Elections Act” Could Be Unconstitutional” by Adam Goldenberg
- CBC: “Election reform bill an affront to democracy, Marc Mayrand says” By Susana Mas
- Andrew Coyne: “What problems are the Conservatives really trying to solve with bizarre Fair Elections Act?”
- Globe and Mail Editorial: “Why the hurry to pass the Fair Elections Act?”
- The ChronicleHerald: “McILVEEN: New Fair Election Act: not exactly as advertised”
- Huffington Post: “Fair Elections Act Will Prevent Young And Low-Income Canadians From Voting, NDP Charge” by Althia Raj
- Huffington Post: “Not Much Fairness in the “Fair Elections Act” by Brent Rathgeber
- Ottawa Citizen: “The Fair Elections Act hinders whistle-blowing” by Stephen Shrybman
- Macleans: “The Fair Elections Act” by Aaron Wherry
- Ottawa Citizen: “Conservatives’ Fair Elections Act eliminates the referee, Marc Mayrand says ~ Chief Electoral Officer also worried legislation will make it harder for some people to vote”
- Democracy Under Fire: “The (UN)Fair Elections Act”
- UFCW “The “Fair” Elections Act?”
- “Fair Election act? —>Voter Suppression act of 2014.“
- Elizabeth May “A real ‘Fair Elections Act’ would start with getting rid of First Past the Post”
- “Five things you need to know about the Fair Elections Act”
- “Creekside: The Fair Elections Act”
- “Conservative Fair Elections Act – Completely Un-Fair to Young People”
- Reddit: “Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand denounces Conservatives’ Fair Elections Act”
- Foundation for Democratic Advancement: “CPC Bill C-23 “Fair Elections Act”
- The Fair Elections Act benefits the Conservatives, and hurts everyone else.