My little Electoral Reform Opinion Poll on Twitter has run it’s course, and since there was approximately a 3% response, as promised it’s time to share.
The most effective referenda employ a binary question, and so that’s what I did in my simple opinion poll.
What I thought I was asking:
Do you think 39% of the votes should equal 100% of the power in Canadian Government?
Do you think 39% of the votes should equal 39% of the power in Canadian Government?
That’s pretty straightforward, right?
But looking at it now, I’m a bit flabbergasted to discover 7 respondents (that’s about 3%) thought 39% of the votes should equal majority power. That seems pretty high.
But then, as often happens in opinion polls and referenda, I realized the question really wasn’t phrased well at all. Because it is too easily open to interpretation.
Looking at it now, more than a week later, is that my question might just as easily be read as:
In Canada’s electoral system, do you think
39% of the votes equal 100% of the power in Canadian Government?
Do you think 39% of the votes equal 39% of the power in Canadian Government?
The upshot is I have no more idea what question the respondents were actually answering than Parliament knows what voters have actually voted for.
An Opinion Poll, or a Referendum is only as good as the question.
[Full disclosure: I hate opinion polls.]
• Proportional Representation for Canada
• What’s so bad about First Past The Post
• Democracy Primer
• Working for Democracy
• The Popular Vote
• Why Don’t We Have PR Already?
• Why No Referendum?
• Electoral System Roundup
• When Canadians Learn about PR with CGP Grey
• Proportional Representation vs. Alternative Vote
• #ERRÉ #Q Committee
• #ERRÉ #Q Meetings & Transcripts
• Take The Poll ~ #ERRÉ #Q
• Proportionality #ERRÉ #Q
• The Poll’s The Thing
• DIY Electoral Reform Info Sessions
• What WE Can Do for ERRÉ
• #ERRÉ today and Gone Tomorrow (…er, Friday)
• Redistricting Roulette
• #ERRÉ submission Deadline TONIGHT!
• #ERRÉ Submission by Laurel L. Russwurm
• The Promise: “We will make every vote count” #ERRÉ
• FVC: Consultations Provide Strong Mandate for Proportional Representation #ERRÉ
• PEI picks Proportional Representation
• There is only one way to make every vote count #ERRÉ
• Canada is Ready 4 Proportional Representation
• Sign the Petition e-616
• #ProportionalRepresentation Spin Cycle ~ #ERRÉ
• International Women’s Day 2017 ~ #IWD
• An Open Letter to ERRÉ Committee Liberals
and don’t forget to check out the PR4Canada Resources page!