Although I don’t think public opinion polls should decide elections, public opinion polls can be a useful way of gathering information.
My public opinion poll is not scientific. One of the biggest drawbacks of public opinion polls is that there is no obligation to answer truthfully. And for self-selecting public opinion polls like this one, the people who answer are probably the ones who follow me on twitter because they agree with me.
Still, I am curious about what the people I talk to in social media actually think about this. And I am curious what the people they talk to on social media might think. That’s why I have launched the above twitter poll. Maybe my friends in the twitterverse will vote in my poll, and share with their friends to bring the question to a wider pool of voters. If you are not on Twitter but have friends who are, if you send them a link to this article or the twitter post, maybe they will vote too.
Electoral reform shouldn’t be for the benefit of parties, it should be for the benefit of citizens.
I have set my public opinion poll to run for a week, and pinned it to the top of my twitter feed. If this gets traction, I will publish the results here after my public opinion poll concludes.
• Proportional Representation for Canada
• What’s so bad about First Past The Post
• Democracy Primer
• Working for Democracy
• The Popular Vote
• Why Don’t We Have PR Already?
• Why No Referendum?
• Electoral System Roundup
• When Canadians Learn about PR with CGP Grey
• Proportional Representation vs. Alternative Vote
• #ERRÉ #Q Committee
• #ERRÉ #Q Meetings & Transcripts
• Take The Poll ~ #ERRÉ #Q
• Proportionality #ERRÉ #Q
• The Poll’s The Thing
• DIY Electoral Reform Info Sessions
• What WE Can Do for ERRÉ
• #ERRÉ today and Gone Tomorrow (…er, Friday)
• Redistricting Roulette
• #ERRÉ submission Deadline TONIGHT!
• #ERRÉ Submission by Laurel L. Russwurm
• The Promise: “We will make every vote count” #ERRÉ
• FVC: Consultations Provide Strong Mandate for Proportional Representation #ERRÉ
• PEI picks Proportional Representation
• There is only one way to make every vote count #ERRÉ
• Canada is Ready 4 Proportional Representation
• Sign the Petition e-616
• #ProportionalRepresentation Spin Cycle ~ #ERRÉ
• International Women’s Day 2017 ~ #IWD
• An Open Letter to ERRÉ Committee Liberals
and don’t forget to check out the PR4Canada Resources page!